Back in the old days, people needed to have certain talents or abilities to be famous throughout the society. However, it seems that it is getting easier for people to be celebrities nowadays, people can promote themselves through Youtube or Facebook, or entering TV Talent Show, and it is common to see papparazi posting celebrities' behaviours on magazines, TV or newspapers.
We probably do not have the look of Beckham, the body shape of Angelina Jolie or the talent of David Copperfield, but most of us, when we were still kids, were trying to pretend and behave like them. In fact, many celebrities have become role models for many teenagers, and just as Marshall (2010) has suggested, the reach of celebrity goes beyond entertainment.
For instance, sport players such as Beckham, the most popular celebrity among pupils (BBC News, 2008), may affect us in a good way being a sporty healthy person. However, when such celebrity is behaving unethical such as Cristiano Ronaldo, the influences could be much more significant, just few weeks ago, my 6 years old nephew wished to be a soccer player like Cristiano Ronaldo...and I don't really wish my nephew would get into sex scandals being circulated on the Internet like Ronaldo did (Cristiano Ronaldo Sex Scandal with Moroccon Teenager).
In fact, the media technology is further promoting such celebrity culture among the us, photos, articles or videos are being circulated throughout the world, celebrities' ethical behaviour may influence the society or teenagers in a good way, but vice versa, the unethical ones. As warned by many teachers the children's educational aspiration is being damaged by the cult of celebrity (BBC News, 2008).
Image Credit:
David Copperfield - Wikipedia
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copperfield_(illusionist)
Cristiano Ronaldo - cristianoronaldofan.net
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copperfield_(illusionist)
Cristiano Ronaldo - cristianoronaldofan.net
- http://cristianoronaldofan.net/the-fabulous-cristiano-ronaldo-and-his-amazing-3-season-with-real-madrid/
Reference
Marshal, D 2010, The Specular
Economy, Society, vol.47, no.2, pp. 47-52, retrieved on
02 September 2012,<http://ehis.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?sid=06343fae-2275-40fc-b18e-61cda1dbde0a%40sessionmgr13&vid=1&hid=3&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=a9h&AN=54618364>.
BBC News 2008, Celebrity culture 'harms pupils', retreived at 4 September 2012, <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/education/7296306.stm>.
BBC News 2008, Celebrity culture 'harms pupils', retreived at 4 September 2012, <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/education/7296306.stm>.




Love the photos! Got my attention straight away!
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree that sporting celebrities can be great motivation to achieve greatness. But, lewd behaviour can also influence the fans. What I have found interesting is the restraints put on AFL players. How they must adhere to certain rules and regulations in their social life. I think this has been great for the AFL and hope that more sporting associations introduce tougher regulations (perhaps in soccer!).
I can really hear your ‘voice’ in your blog. Well done. Great use of expression.
Regards,
Stef
Great post, good work with the inclusion of the photos. This is a really informative post. However I think an element that would have really added value to your post would to expand on your idea of ' it seems that it is getting easier for people to be celebrities nowadays, people can promote themselves through Youtube or Facebook, or entering TV Talent Show, and it is common to see papparazi posting celebrities' behaviours on magazines, TV or newspapers.' I think the development of celebrities who are literately famous for nothing, are a really interesting development in celebrity culture. However I understand there is a word limit and it’s impossible to include everything!
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting post, a pleasure to read. I agree with your point that it is becoming easier for people to become celebrities in this day and age and I believe its because our society is allowing and encouraging this! I love how this post is also personal as you relate to your own family using an example to support your topic and opinion. Nice presentation, great use of photos and quite relevant references. I would have liked some more information on how our obsession with celebrities is affecting our culture, but I think you have done an excellent job considering the word limit.
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post and a very easy read. I specifically like the point you make about your nephew and wanting to be a famous soccer player because at his age he's too young and naive to know anything about the scandals and such of the player so he's only judging his merit off of his sporting talent. However if he was to later find out about all of those scandals later in life, because the player was such an idol to him, than he may believe that it is okay to do the same.
ReplyDeleteThis blog is easy to read, I like it! This blog includes your opinion very well but little bit too casual writing style, I think... Anyway, I agree that influence of celebrity is not only good but also bad for teenagers because they might still not be able to judge everything right way. I like the nephew part, it is funny and I could imagine your feelings.
ReplyDeleteNice work!
A well written yet easy read not loaded with over the top jargon and the like. It is still easy to see your understanding of the subject without using every "key term" from the semester. An interesting look at celebrity culture and nice ties made to relevant on-line and scholarly references.
ReplyDeletegood post with good point you hold and have a clearly statement. The way you used Marshell's text is very good and appropriate.This is an interesting post with good example and also have very strong academic text supported. Good work! One personal opinion, i m wondering the influence of celebrities on audience, because I believed that it depend on how the media/ journalist to control the information. but i still agree with that celebrities had some effect on audience, esp on kids.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting read, particularly the points you’ve made about everyday celebrities, YouTube sensations and everyone wanting their 15 seconds of fame.
ReplyDeleteYou’ve highlighted the importance of sporting athletes and the likes of celebrities as important role models especially on young children with the inclusion of a personal anecdote. ‘The cult of a celebrity’ is a great quote as it shows both the blessing and burden associated with being famous.
My only suggestion would be to tie all the loose ends back to globalisation, perhaps noting how communication and technology has changed from past times to the present tense.
I agree that sports player is a good example while talking about celebrity. Most of them build their image as a healthy person and many teenagers will admire them. So when some scandals are coming out from those sport players, not only Christino Ronaldo, but also other sports player, it can really ruin their job. To become celebrity as a sport player, healthy is a fatal image for them.
ReplyDeleteThe star is like a double-edged sword in the community; their every move will be the focus. But there is some star doesn’t have that consciousness, as a public person still stardom to do some bad behavior; they do not know the behavior impact on community. And media use star's bad behavior as a tool to attract everyone's attention; I think to a certain extent, the media is responsible. Because to be a lot of young people to have a negative impact when released star bad behavior, they will feel that the star's behavior is correct.
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree that celebrities, now that they are in an even larger spotlight need be more aware of their actions because of the way their actions may be interpreted by the broader public, but they are still people whether their sporting abilities or movie role makes them seem more than what they are. Of course I believe everyone should be accountable for what they say and who they say it to, but it is also the responsibility of those who hear or see what they say or do to interpret it in the light in which it was intended, good or bad. Great job.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Dylong Wong that it is easy to make most individuals into a “star prototype” such as singers, actors or a person that is mediocre in skills for something else talent related in this Post Modern Society. For myself I view the “star” celebrity can be “massed produced” and influence across many cultures from Western society to countries in Asia, becoming “product of society” and superficiality through the photos depictions used in the blog. We look up to celebrities as they are part of the “entertainment” industry. Our access to Celebrity news and gossip is what mediums like magazines thrive on, the “reactions” from news is “sensationalized” on a global level; celebrity “globalization.” The ideal celebrity is looked up to as a “role model”. However those are not “glorified” are ridiculed and labeled to “avoid their repeated behavior” depending on the media celebrity “response.”
ReplyDelete